Thursday, August 11, 2011

Smokin'

As promised, but maybe a little late, is another short and sweet whisky review!  A while back I ordered a bottle of Smokehead Whisky, a single malt from Ian MacLeod (of the clan MacLeod, no doubt).

The Smokehead!!
Now, I decided to take my time with this one.  Instead of just taking a sample taste and blogging right away, I kept it around and had it as my evening dram.  Ok, let's get real...it was more likely 2 fingers or so, not just one. Who can drink just one?

So back to the whisky.  It's an Islay malt, and nice and peaty. And smokey. Very very smokey.  The first taste slams you hard. Holy cow. Was it going to be TOO strong?  Thankfully, at only 86 proof there wasn't an underlying sting of "too much booze" to overpower.

Back for the second taste. Ok, much better. The peat and smoke, although strong, mellow out a bit once you know what to expect. And it gets really tasty.

It might look like a gimmicky whisky, not worth your time and/or money.  But it isn't a gimmick.  It is a well-crafted single malt to blow the pants off you! Rather like those old cartoons with the smoke pouring out of the ears, this one is a mind-blower.

If you're in the mood for something new, something to keep you a bit warm through the upcoming Fall and Winter months, give this a try! Go on, it's easy... just click on that link.  However, if you need something now, click on that other link.. the Master of Malt one. See it? Right over to the right of this post. I think I bought the last bottle of Smokehead until stocks are renewed..

6 comments:

  1. Almost makes me wish I was allowed to drink Whiskey or could drink it however I shall just have to content myself with your brilliant reviews! What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next up is a whole sampler box from Master of Malt. All sorts of goodies, and even an adult rum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so reluctant to try something new when i have my favs. thanks for the review. will be picking this one up!
    Skibbadoo thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess,first time I've looked at your blog it was recommended,like a good dram of malt especially the Islay malts with laphroaig been one of my favourites ,I've been drinking a bottle of Smokehead and what you said about the first taste is spot on,really gives you a good kick in the throat but then the next glass is really worth looking forward to !!,I will be having another look at your blog again soon ,regards Dave Siron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave,
    Thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoy the Smokehead, and I hope you enjoy the blog, too!

    ReplyDelete