Sunday, December 23, 2012

Happy Holidays

So, usually I have a rant around this time of year. This year's is a bit different.  Hanukkah is over and my menorah has been de-waxed and put away. The chocolate coins have been eaten, and I am heading down to a friend's house for the Christmas period.

I have watched people get ready for the holidays via twitter and facebook and, to be brutally honest, I have no idea why most people bother from year to year. The stress is amazing. Panic over present-buying, grocery shopping, and being forced to spend time with certain family members.  Some of it is light-hearted, such as the annual battle over Brussels Sprouts. I love the little beggars, but won't be seeing them this year as my friends hate them! But some of the stress seems so pointless. I have witnessed a grown woman in tears over stocking fillers for her adult children... Seriously.

So, boys and girls... have fun. Yep. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it! Ok, so cooking a feast might be a bit stressful, but if you take zero pleasure from it get help or don't do it. At its core, Christmas is a religious holiday (hello... mass for Christ), and all of the presents and trappings aren't really the point. So.. decorate if it makes you happy. Go mad with the wrapping paper if you have fun. Or just don't. Do what makes the day special for you. Don't feel obliged to do anything that you actually don't want to do!  This is supposed to be a festive season. Make it one for you.

Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Solstice, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, and Merry Festivus. And any other wintery-time holiday you celebrate.

Save some mulled wine for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment